Hay Fever Treatment: What is Hay Fever and How is it Treated?
Hay fever isn’t necessarily caused by hay and fever is not a symptom! This term came from hay baling on the farm “back in the olden days” and refers to timothy grass (the hay). Timothy grass pollen is a strong allergen, so when exposure to it caused allergic episodes, people just called it “hay fever”.
An allergic reaction occurs when your body’s immune system overreacts to an allergen. Allergens are small proteins. When you breathe in an allergen, cells in your nasal passages release a chemical called histamine. This causes mucus production, which is your body’s way of protecting you from the allergen. The histamine is nature’s hay fever treatment, but it makes you feel awful!
Hay fever symptoms include:
- Sinus pressure
- Runny nose / nasal congestion
- Itchy nose, eyes, throat, ears
- Postnasal drip and cough
- Dark circles under your eyes
Treatment for hay fever begins with testing to find out what allergens you are allergic to. Go to our allergy test page to find out more about that process.
Revolutionary Needle-Free Hay Fever Treatment
In our office, we use a highly successful hay fever treatment option called SLIT allergy drops. SLIT is short for Sublingual Immunotherapy. These drops have been used in Europe for over 40 years with a high rate of success. Ours was the first allergy clinic to use SLIT allergy drops here in Central Florida. It has proven to successful treatment for hay fever in Orlando. After allergy skin tests have determined your allergens, we mix sterile, purified extracts of these allergens. You place drops of this mixture under your tongue as instructed. That’s it! No weekly allergy shots! No needles! This allergy treatment is safe and convenient for patients who travel, young children, and the elderly.
Lifestyle Hacks: Hay Fever Treatments You Can Do at Home
- Remain indoors during the morning hours, when pollen counts are highest.
- Avoid outside activities during the time of year that your hay fever kicks up.
- Close your home and car windows to keep pollen out.
- Use vacuum cleaners and air conditioners with HEPA filters to trap allergens.
- If you have furry pets, vacuum frequently and keep your pet out of your bedroom and carpeted rooms.
- SLIT allergy drops instead of shots!
- Be sure to follow your doctor’s hay fever treatment orders!
Anderson Allergy & Asthma proudly offers allergy testing and hay fever treatment including allergy shots and SLIT allergy drops for patients living in Orlando, Winter Park, Winter Springs, Winter Garden, Ocoee and Kissimmee, Florida.